Sunday, January 9

LETTER TO SURFERS AGAINST SEWERAGE

On 09/01/2005, at 2:39 PM, Simon wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I didnt know what category to put this under, there isnt one for
> emergency.
>
> Let me introduce myself. My name is Simon Hegarty, and somewhere in
> your database you'll find Im a member of SAS, or have been at diferent
> points. I'd just like to say that I've always been a great admirer of
> the work you've done, and are continuing with.
>
> Ill cut to the chase. It's currently 2.33pm on Sunday afternoon, and
> Im in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Im a Welsh man who finds himself in the
> middle of the biggest relief aid effort that the modern world has
> seen, and I need some help.
>
> After coming back from a surf trip in Malaysia, with little coverage
> of the tsunami, I found myself compelled to do something......a
> feeling Im sure you know all too well. My business partner, a woman
> called Pia Zain, and I immediately found this website
> http://www.mentawai.com/aceh.html
>
> We decided direct action was the best, and ended up speaking directly
> to Rick Cameron.
>
> Rick has lived in Mentawais for 20 years, and has run surf charters
> for the surf world. He is the only one, other surf orgs included, who
> is still trying to get to the most inaccesable areas. It is now 14
> days since the tsunami struck.
>
> From Rick down, we are all volunteers.
>
> I spoke to Rick this morning, and he is especially keen to do this
> right, and to keep the communities at risk in tact, whilst giving them
> the support they need to begin building their lives again. It is the
> bottom line.
>
> Rick is especially keen to include the surf community in this, and
> this is why Im writing to you.
>
> Alex Dick-Read, editor of The Surfers Path is already helping, and by
> the time you read this, you will see this in practical terms in the
> form of the Monday Morning Wave that they put out. But this is only
> the beginning, and we are looking specifically for help from Surfers,
> in ANY way. Whether that be practical on hands immediate help, or an
> email from a city bound surfer to Rick, saying hi, and wishing him
> luck, or two mates in the pub talking about it to non surfers.
> Literally anything.
>
> Ive turned to you guys because quite simply, I know from having
> followed you for so long now that you are particularly good at raising
> awareness. Dont worry, Im not asking you to divert all your resources
> over to it, but if you could just spend five minutes of your
> management meeting talking about it. That in itself would be
> fabulous. If you could post something on your website, next time Im
> in the UK, Ill come buy you a cup of tea...or two.
>
> As I said, we are all volunteers, working at the epicentre of this
> tsunami, where they are still getting up to one quake an hour in some
> places.
>
> This is a grass roots operation, and I know from your grass roots
> beginnings that you will understand.
>
> Please feel free to use the website address as you wish. My phone is
> on 24/7, and you can contact me on that if you wish as well as
> emailing me....which you can also feel free to pass on to whoever you
> wish.
>
> Ill stop there, and just please urge you to take a look at the website.
>
> Mahalo and aloha
>
> Simon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home